Manage Your Office and Family From Your Home Page
Did you know that a great ally in getting your life organized and streamlined is just a click away – and it’s free?!
At Organize Anything we’re big fans of the Google Calendar. So often we think that electronic calendars are just for the office, but we’ve discovered that Google Calendar works great for the busy family too.
Here are some really fun and easy ways to use the Google Calendar to streamline your office and home organization.
1) Colour code it. Assign every member of your office/team/family a unique colour. Every time they enter an appointment/meeting/practice into the calendar it will display in that colour so a quick glance tells you who’s doing what.
2) Choose your view. Find a month view overwhelming? You can customize the view of your calendar to be daily or weekly if you want to stay focused on the here and now. The best part? Everyone who accesses the calendar can choose a different way to view it!
3) Sync it. Once you have a Calendar set up (and it’s as easy as getting a Gmail.com account), you can sync the calendar on your smart phone with your Google Calendar. This means your busy teenager on-the-go can update their schedule as they sit rink-side at hockey practice, or the office administrator can update schedules in real time during a conference call.
4) Combine it. The great thing about this app is that you can make parts of it private and others public. Your office manager doesn’t need to see your 7th grader’s project due dates – so you can simply make that calendar private. Chose who sees what and when – with you getting all the information you need with a mouse click.
5) Schedule meetings. Need to get the office together or plan a family meeting? You can create an event and invite everyone who uses your calendar to attend. They can RSVP right from the Google account and on-the-go.
6) Access anywhere. It’s cloud based and covers all devices so works for everyone almost anywhere and anytime.
7) Reminders to take action. You can set three types of reminders to ensure you never miss an appointment or meeting. Popup reminders display on your computer screen if you leave your calendar open – they also appear on your phone. Email reminders can be set for anytime – I will often have an email reminder of key appointments a day early so I can make sure I have all materials gathered that I need. SMS reminders are perfect if you’ve enabled your calendar for mobile integration – your calendar will text you reminders of upcoming meetings.
In this digital age and being constantly on-the-move, having a way to co-ordinate schedules on the go is critical. We love how versatile it is and how you can create calendars for work and family, and keep them all in one place!
If you enjoyed this article, please pass it along to others who would find it useful and sign up for our Organize Anything newsletter on our homepage at www.organizeanything.com.
© 2007 Colette Robicheau
The Organizing Coach
Phone: (902) 233-1577
Fax: (902) 455-0553
Permission to reuse or redistribute these materials is hereby granted provided they are reproduced or redistributed in their entirety with full attribution.